Furniture Terms Explained

French Style DesksBachelor chest – A small straight front chest of drawers with a fold-over top. The name derives from bachelors having small sets of rooms where limited space allowed the fold-over top to be used for writing.

Blind door – The doors of a bureau cabinet that has wooden panels and not mirror plates.

Bobbin turned – Sections of turning, used on tables and chairs, that are ball or bobbin shaped.

Bole – A clay in liquid form that can be used over gesso before gilding. Bole can vary in (Read More...)

French Styled Commodes

Elaborate ChestsBombe chests gained popularity in the French Regency period. After Louis XIV died in 1715, his five year old great grandson was crowned the king of France.   At the time, Louis XV was too young to rule, so Phillipe d’Orleans, the nephew of the late Louis XIV, was named regent and ruled in his place.  During this time, French furniture-makers created newer styles distinctively different from the Louis XIV classical forms.  Shapes became more bowed and round.  The signature style through this time was the bombe commode.  This chest had curves, and reminded them of the voluptuous curves (Read More...)